4-Story Medical Office Building With Parking Garage
3-Story Mixed Use 1st Floor Retail, 2nd and 3rd Floors Office Access to Parking Garage and Street Parking
The State originally acquired the property in 1929 by its State of Tennessee Workshop for the Blind. In 2004, the State deeded the property to the non-profit organization, Ed Lindsey Industries for the Blind Inc.
Deed stipulations required that the site had to continue the operation of a workshop or rehabilitation facility for the benefit of blind persons, if that use ended, the State could either take back the property or sell it for $625,000 to the nonprofit corporation.
Over the years, broom, brushes and mops for commercial and households were among items made by visually impaired workers. The organization once sold between 15,000 to 20,000 mops and or brooms a year to state agencies, the affiliated Lions Thrift Store and to Lions clubs statewide.
Blind workers also helped customers in the Lions Thrift Store which operated out of the front of the building.
The state believes that operations ceased in 2015.
Mr. Edward "Ed" Lindsey served as President of Ed Lindseys Industries for the Blind and won the National Board Member of the Year Award from the National Industries for the Blind. He wore many hats during his lifetime which included Mayor of the City of Lawrenceburg, President of Lindsey Manufacturing which was established in 1939 and produced church furnishings. In 1966 he was elected President of the International Association of Lions Clubs. He was President of the Lawrence County Lions Nursing Home, member of the Board of Trustees of Martin College and former Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees for Columbia State Community College.
Mr. Lindsey passed away on Tuesday, January 11, 2011, he was 95 years old. In honor all for his work and years of service for the blind and other organizations, we proudly name the site, "Lindseys Corner"